The Boys and Girls Club of El Sobrante started out in 1958 as a Boys Club when a group of parents, concerned about the lack of facilities and activities for boys in the neighborhood pioneered the movement. The original President of the club was named Galli. In 1965 Grover Harris was hired as the First Executive Director.
The first building was a small building in the far corner of the Club's current location, that was surrounded by a slot car track. In the early 70's the community decided it needed a bigger club and in 1972 they broke ground to build a new 10,000 sq. ft. structure that we still use today. Parents and friends of the club built the building on nights and weekends until it was completed on September 30, 1978.
Over the years, thousands of alumni have passed through the doors of the Boys and Girls Club of El Sobrante. The alumni include many local residents of West Contra Costa County as well as some famous folks.
For many years the Girls Club was located next door as a separate organization that offered different programs for girls only. In 1998, the Girls Club merged with the Boys Club to form the El Sobrante Boys and Girls Club., offering coed sports, after-school and educational programs.
Currently the Boys and Girls Club serves the youth of West Contra Costa County from ages 7-17. We offer sports, clubhouse activities, training as Junior Staff, scholarships, and after-school educational program.
'THE POSITIVE PLACE FOR KIDS'